Arrow Fat Left Icon Arrow Fat Right Icon Arrow Right Icon Favourites Icon Close Circle Icon Expand Arrows Icon Instagram Icon Pinterest Icon Youtube Icon Hamburger Icon Information Icon Down Arrow Icon Mail Icon Mini Cart Icon Person Icon Ruler Icon Search Icon Shirt Icon Triangle Icon Bag Icon Play Video
Established in 1883

Established in 1883

Over 135 years in business.

Spanning 6 generations.

Surviving 2 world wars.

100% family owned.

The Pioneer Years

The Pioneer Years

After reports of coal in the Hunter Region, a shaft was opened in 1886 with small quantities of coal sold locally. Realising greater capital would be required, Earp Gillam & Co. were entrusted with operations of the colliery with a registered office in Bond Street, Newcastle East. This building still stands with Earp Gillam & Co. cast into the facade of the building.

The First World War

The First World War

World War 1 impacted both the family and the business. Mr and Mrs Charles Earp suffered a grievous loss when their son Reggie was killed in France. Serving as a gunner in the 10th Field Artillery Brigade, Reggie was struck by shrapnel while operating his gun in action.

Gradual Change

Gradual Change

Improvement in business was evident in 1934 with significant growth in the main product lines of plaster and cement. Arnott's biscuit distribution was a useful line that continued on after the end of the produce business.

To conform with the Companies Act 1936, Earp Brothers & Co Ltd. became a proprietary company on June 22nd 1937, adding Pty. to its name before the word Limited.

Regrowth

Regrowth

In the second half of the century a shortage of manufactured goods led to the decision to import substantial quantities of ceramic tiles, baths and bathroom furniture.

As a number of legacy Earp business' faded away, the importation of high quality tiles and bathroom furniture flourished.